Friday, September 7, 2012

Black & White All Over: Aubrey Beardsley







A forgery (at left) accompanying the real deal.

I happened upon the book The Collected Drawings of Aubrey Beardsley while thrift store shopping. I adore Beardsley's deft hand. I cannot get over the line quality employed in each illustration and throughout his entire body of work! Sometimes beautiful and sometimes grotesque, Beardsley's stylized drawings appeal to me.

According to the editor Bruce S. Harris, while Beardsley died when he was just 26, he had reached such fame beforehand that work in his style was often produced. I have included a piece here that was included in an exhibition of forged pieces attributed to Beardsley. Can you tell the difference?

Have you found anything great during a recent thrift store visit? I would love to hear about it.

Alison :)

No comments:

Post a Comment