Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Livin' La Vida Local, no. 3: L.C.'s Hamburgers


Known for its many fountains, a ridiculous number of barbecue restaurants, stellar live jazz and blues, and a well-established art scene, Kansas City, Missouri, provides plenty to experience. I thoroughly enjoy livin' la vida local in the Flyover Zone. Join me as I explore new finds and old faves in this big small town I call home.  


L.C.'s Hamburgers isn't just a Kansas City tradition; it's also a family tradition. My parents met in high school, and L.C.'s was one of their hot date spots. My mom usually ordered "The Big Deal," which included a quarter-pound cheeseburger, french fries and a regular drink, while my dad was more likely to request the Italian Steak. The menu today is very much as it was in the early 1970s, as is the interior. 

Many thanks to mi madre for modeling.
A collection of round- and square-topped tables, surrounded by little round stools, inhabits the small interior. Upon walking in, you actually feel as if you have stepped back in time. Then, you step up to the window and order your greasy fare. You cannot be worried about your diet if you're eating here, although, to L.C.'s credit, salads do appear on the menu. But, really, if you're going to L.C.'s, you are not going for a salad.


After a recent appointment near Platte Woods, where L.C.'s is located, my mom and I had the urge for some old school burgers and fries, so, of course, L.C.'s was at the top of our list. Don't let a drive to the Northland scare you. This place is good, and it can definitely compete with burger joints like Hayes' Hamburgers and Town Topic.


My mom and I both ordered the "Big Deal," but I think next time around, I will order a smaller burger. Mine came with grilled onions and all the fixings. My mom ordered hers plain. The onions were grilled to perfection, and Mom and I are both huge fans of thin, well-cooked burgers. 


And, of course, the fries were divine. Served hot and greasy with just enough salt, it was impossible not to devour the entire serving. The only thing that would have made my meal better is if I had finished it off with a chocolate shake. However, I was trying to exercise a little (very little) restraint.

What's your favorite greasy spoon or family hot spot?

Alison :)

No comments:

Post a Comment